Japanese footballer accused of sexual harassment

Junia Eto was not dropped in Japan’s last match in the Asian Cup

Two women have accused Japanese national football player Junia Ito of sexual harassment. The 30-year-old midfielder denied the incident, but police said an investigation was underway following a formal complaint.

 

Playing for French club Rennes, Ito is a regular face of the Japan national team. He is currently playing for Japan in the Asian Cup in Doha, Qatar.

 

Regarding the charges against Eto, a police spokesperson told news agency AFP, “We have received criminal charges against him. An investigation has also been started on this. However, he did not agree to comment on who or what kind of complaint has been made.

According to local media, the allegations against Ito by two women took place after the Japan-Peru international friendly match in Osaka in June last year. But Ito’s lawyer told news agency Kyodo News that the allegations were “completely baseless”. However, the lawyer, who did not mention his name, said that Ito spent time with two women. But there is no physical evidence to support the allegations.

 

Ito, who was in the Asian Cup squad, played in all three group stage matches for Japan. Although he was in the squad for the match against Bahrain in the last sixteen on Wednesday, the coach did not drop him. When asked about the allegations against Ito, the coach of the Japanese team, Hajime Moriyasu told AFP, “I am not fully aware of it.” I have to know about it.

 

Ito, who made his international debut in 2017, has scored 13 goals in 54 matches for Japan so far. In 2022, he joined Rennes in the French League and played a total of 50 matches, scoring 8 goals.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *